Wednesday, November 2, 2011

New GPU

Old GPU: FirePro V3750
Yesterday I upgraded my video card. Previously I was running, an ATI FirePro 3750, which was a great entry level card for 3D design, but it was getting a little dated and I needed something new. Specifically, the 3750 had a few hang ups in Maya2012 where the viewport was not refreshing properly.  I’m pretty sure it had something to do with viewport 2.0, but I can’t say for certain.

I ended up purchasing a GeForce GTX 465, and so far I’m pretty happy. It runs on Nvidia’s Fermi architecture. This card is a beast size wise.  I had to remove my ram, hard drive, power cables, and cpu cooler just to get it in. All said and done, it took about an hour or so to install it and get everything back in place.

I have yet to run any serious tests on the card, but I feel fairly confident in it from its documented performance. Windows benchmarked it a 7.6, interestingly enough, the same rating as my i7 cpu. Currently it’s ranked among the top of its class. It takes two six-pin power inputs and runs HOT as anticipated.

If you put your hand in front the exhaust port, it feels like a small space heater.  No Joke.
I ended up going with Nvidia over ATi this time because I’m interesting in Cuda processing. I’ve seen some pretty interesting things done with it, but at this point I don’t know enough to say if it’s worth it. I guess I’ll find out. 

New GPU: GTX 465

GTX 465 Specs:

CUDA Cores352
Graphics Clock (MHz)607 MHz
Processor Clock (MHz)1215 MHz
Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec)26.7 
Memory Clock (MHz)1603 
Standard Memory Config1024 MB GDDR5
Memory Interface Width256-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)102.6
NVIDIA SLI®-ready*2-way/3-Way
NVIDIA 3D Vision Readyyes
NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround Ready***yes
NVIDIA PureVideo® Technology**HD
NVIDIA PhysX™-readyyes
NVIDIA CUDA™ Technologyyes
Microsoft DirectX11
OpenGL4.1 
Bus SupportPCI-E 2.0 x 16 
Certified for Windows 7yes
Maximum Digital Resolution2560x1600 
Maximum VGA Resolution2048x1536 
Standard Display ConnectorsTwo Dual Link DVI
Mini HDMI 
Multi Monitoryes
HDCPyes
HDMIyes
Audio Input for HDMIInternal
Height4.376 inches (111 mm) 
Length9.5 inches (241 mm) 
WidthDual-slot 
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C)105  C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W)200  W
Minimum Recommended System Power (W)550  W
Supplementary Power Connectors6-pin x2 

No comments:

Post a Comment