Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Vikky’s Face Ref - Ortho fail.

Initially I thought about just boxing out Vikky’s body and worrying about the head and face later, which is fine, that can be done, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized it might be easier/better to start with a complete mesh rather than trying to stich a head on. I attempted to draw an orthographic projection of Andrea Boehlke’s face… As good looking as Andrea Boehlke is, she also has kind of a strange face. It’s thin, but not. I don’t even know how to describe it.


As you can see, my results didn’t really pan out. My knowledge is still pretty limited when it comes to drawing a face. Anytime I do a concept drawing/painting of a face in PS it takes me a really long time, and I figured that because this is just reference, I shouldn’t stress about it.

Right now I’m just looking for basic edge flow. Hopefully when it comes to time to sculpt in Zbrush I’ll have a better understanding of the face.

I’ve been thinking about checking out Ryan kingslien’s Anatomy of the Face for Artists. It looks informative and I really like his approach to things.


Anyways, for this basic edge flow I just ended up finding a simple orthographic view of a standard female on the-blueprints.com. It think it should work for this stage of development, but I’ll definitely have to have some better understanding and ref before I start sculpting. Many thanks to Dr. Dan Saranga for posting it.

Now that the image planes are set, I’m ready to begin boxing her out.


No comments:

Post a Comment