Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mastering Maya – The Long Road Ahead.

I think it’s time to evaluate my ambitions and what I’d like to do with the Duke vs. the Dead project.
As much as I’d like to start with production today, and have it finished in a week or so, and have millions of people viewing it in a month… I simply know that’s not going to happen. The truth is I don’t know enough. I’m still a newb when it comes to Maya.

There’s no doubt, it’s complex tool. To do things right I’ll have to familiarize myself. Otherwise I’ll end up just getting frustrated.
At this juncture I think it’s a good idea to take a moment and look down the road and realize that there is a lot to learn. Below is a list of the courses I plan on educating myself with.


From my count, there are 60 courses/volumes. I’m guessing that each course ranges from 10-30 hours of study time, so I’m looking at anywhere from 600-1800 hours of study.

That’s kind of daunting when you think about it… On the high end, if I spent 8 hours a day on it, it would still take me nearly half a year to go through all these.

To boil it down, I’ll have to remember to try and be patient with myself and focus more on the joy of learning rather than the final result.

There is no benefit in getting frustrated and belittling myself because of time; doing that will only impede my progress. I’m always hard myself, but I think it’s time to start accepting things for what they are; otherwise I won’t be able to get a grasp on the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment