Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Skivvies and a Note on workflow

So after looking at Vikky’s Body sculpt in the previous post, I realized the breasts were kind of off. They seemed just too… buoyant? (If that’s the right word.)

Granted Vikky is kinda exaggerated and stylized, but there’s a bold line between good and ridiculous. My previous sculpt had obviously crossed that line. It was my friend who tactfully pointed it out. When I came back to it with a fresh set of eyes, it was obvious and I made the corrections.



One major thing that was tripping me up was how the body looks with and without underwear. It’s subtle, but underwear and bras and what not make a person hold themselves differently. The Bra Vikky is wearing is obviously some sort of pushup. I guess she likes the attention?

Many thanks to YouTube user "ksalki" for posting a a great video on building geometry/clothing in Zbrush. I was going to use the mesh-extraction method, but the video he posted gave me much cleaner topology. His video can be seen here.

On workflow, I feel a bit lost. In a nutshell, here’s why: Zbrush exports normal maps to Maya to make a mesh look smooth and awesome… which if fine, but the rub is that Toon shading doesn’t work off normal maps… (to my understanding?) Sooo… I’m not sure what to do. I think for the time being, I just continue to work on her in Zbrush, and have a hi-rez version that I can hopefully do something with. I’m sure I’ll figure something out.

I finished two more training courses, “Introduction to Hypershade” and “Mastering Maya Render Nodes” both courses were informative and put together well, but because of the nature of what they were, I found them to be boring. I fell asleep five times while going through them.

One final thing that I’m really excited about is the fact a friend of mine has decided to join me in bring Duke vs. the Dead to life. (c’mon puns are funny…) She’s seems just as excited about it as I am. We’ll see what comes out of all it.

I need to get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment