Monday, September 19, 2011

Vikky’s Body - fleshing out the form

Last week I spent a lot of time studying the female body in an attempt to understand Vikky’s form. (I wish I could say I was studying it first hand, but it was all reference photos… Jokes.)

Anyways, below is the progress I’ve made.


Before I attempted to sculpt her, I figured it would be best if I could draw, and because my experience with figure drawing is limited, I thought it might be a good challenge.

I started with a lot of reference, and a bunch of gesture drawings-- I was trying to capture her as she was whipping around, to rear with the zombie in the foreground, but I don’t think I did the pose justice. In my mind it was much cooler. I still need to read up on dynamics/force in drawings. Also the lighting is a bit off, but eh, it was a body study, so I’m fine with it

Once I completed the drawing, I returned to the sculpting aspect. Getting everything proportionally correct took me longer than I’d care to admit. I had to continually superimpose reference of Andrew Loomis’s “ideal” proportions to set the landmarks. I her arms might be a little short, but I’m not sur., I’ll have to see her in a pose, and it should be an easy fix if needed.



Because this model is designed for animation, I made sure to keep an eye on the topology to try and match the movements her body might make. There were a couple times that I had to go in and change a few things. I might still have to adjust the topology in certain parts, but for the most part, I think it’s pretty clean.




Anyways, here’s the final model with a fast skin material applied. I’m not 100% satisfied with it, but it should work for now. I think the shoulders look kinda wonky, but we’ll see what it looks like once I get shirt over top of it.




My next step for her is to start modeling on her clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment